Yes, I agree Jochem has done a lot of good stuff on this subject.
Question on "coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory" CLASS,
it seems to have a method called getDataSourceService(), in the instances of MS SQL 7 and above, I would think it also has a method called AddDataSourceService() something, then, for this method to work, it would require some mandate parameters such as Data source name, database name, server name, user name and password, it may have a default value for data access method ("DIRECT"), and default SQL permission such as SELECT, UPDATE, DELETE etc.
How would its syntax look like?
coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory.AddDataSourceService('ds name','db name','fqdn-server-name','un','pwd')?
Then, encrypt the password, Jochem mentioned about encryptPassword() method, would its syntax be like coldfusion.server.ServiceFactory.DataSourceService['thisDS'].encryptPasword()?

Where are we?  Thanks.

Don Li