Even with a .NET application you have to program some this differently to
make it work in both Windows and Mac, particularly with file handling.
Mostly this involves just not making assumptions about the file system, but
since the vast majority of .NET programs are written for Windows without
thinking about Mono, I'd gather most developers don't think about
cross-platform compatibility in .NET.

Besides, even if the application works as is without modification in Windows
and Mac, there is still the issue that deploying to another platform DOUBLES
your testing requirement.  Maybe you don't do testing or don't value your
testers, but testing should be a major part of any application and certainly
takes time and money.

Sam