> Yesterday around 7pm EST my box has been ruthlessly attacked
> (port scan and then data/schema alternation) by
> 75.126.166.15, which traced to SoftLayer Technologies, Inc. in TX.
>
> My course of actions:
> a) prepare a law suit;
> b) inform FBI.
>
> On b), I don't know if I should inform FBI branch in TX or
> just own state or both. Evil doers must be stopped soon.

Who exactly do you plan to sue? You have no idea who's responsible. All you
know is the IP address used to launch the attack. Maybe you could sue
SoftLayer for negligence - for not having adequate security in place - but
then again, you obviously don't have adequate security in place either. You
are equally negligent, at least.

What are your monetary damages? The FBI will generally only pursue cases
where there are significant, demonstrable monetary damages.

Finally, strictly speaking, a port scan isn't really an attack, although it
may be malicious in intent and may set off IDS alarms.

I strongly recommend that you focus your efforts on securing your systems,
rather than a legal approach.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

Fig Leaf Training: Adobe/Google/Paperthin Certified Partners
http://training.figleaf.com/

WebManiacs 2008: the ultimate conference for CF/Flex/AIR developers!
http://www.webmaniacsconference.com/