Jochem,

We have blocked some of softlayer, of course.  And, followed up with them as
well.

But, a related problem that we have had is that as we block these and other
IPs, we have found that legitimate users are being blocked in some cases.
It has turned out to be more difficult than expected to exclude only the
"bad" IPs.  That is, when a legitimate user complains about being blocked,
their actual IP address is almost never actually blocked by us.  So, then we
have to try and figure out what IP is being blocked that is impacting them.
That has been very difficult and we have not found a way to do it
effectively.  I have talked to others with more experience in this area and
at least one person said that they eventually gave up and simply unblocked
all US IPs, as in the following comment:

I usually leave it wide open in US/Canada/Europe and just
block all the interesting countries.   We dealt with it some on
RealSelf, used one of the blacklisting tools... had a lot of the same issues
- blocking lots of legitimate users and whole hosting
providers.   We ended up just opening it back up, and filtering by
country - I know, I know...

So, in this scenario, if we unblock a lot of bad "Ips" in order to make sure
that no legitimate users are impacted, then we are more vulnerable to
hackers.  And, even assuming that we have secured our servers, etc., it
still consumes a lot of time and resources.

Respectfully,