I don't know how experienced with admining a windows box and do not want to
offend. But if you are on a win box I wrote up a little security 101 off the
top of my head. It is has been a few years since I did any sys admin work so
others might want to chime in on things I over looked.

   - Disable the administrator account
   - Restrict access to remote desktop to one account with an obscure
   username
   - Make failed login attempts wait at least thirty seconds or a minute
   before logging in again
   - Run the Security Configuration Wizard (SCW) and lock down all ports,
   services and apps
   - Shut down all unneeded services.
   - Use ridiculous usernames and passwords.
   - Only allow local access (or one IP for dedicated DB) to database
   servers
   - Use an external, *hardware* based firewall
   - Keep everything patched and make sure you are on the security
   mailing lists for all third part apps, scripts and servers that you used.
   - Use AV, anti-spyware and anti-intrusion software And/Or get a server
   security suite by a reputable vender.

To paraphrase: The price of a maintaining a server is eternal vigilance.