"I guess at this point I'd have to ask about working practices:

How many folks think of a "web site" or a "web application" when
they're editing / creating new files?
Do folks really find it a stretch to go from that concept to an actual
site/project in their IDE?"

I always work within a project.  But I also understand that at times you just
want to create a chunk of code to experiment on.  Usually when I am doing this
I am trying to learn something and not actually building a 'site' or what I am
experimenting with will eventually be used in a site but not in the exact form
of my experimental code.  However, since I do experimental code, I want to keep
track of it for later reference so I created a project just for experimental
code. So even when I am just creating a file to see what happens with some
random code, I still am within a project.

Projects in Eclipse are no mystery and they DO NOT get in the way of your file
system access.  An Eclipse project is nothing more than a portion of your file
system that has a hidden Eclipse project file so Eclipse knows that that
portion of the regular file system is a project.

Since my laptop runs CF/Apache I have a webroot.  All my projects (sites,
experimental code, etc) are in my webroot. This means that CF can process my
code that is in any project.  If I need to have a proper URL for actual site
testing I create Apache Virtual Hosts and add entries to my hosts file.  I have
domains on my laptop such as http://www.trunkful.dev.  This way testing each
site/project is very easy and isolated from the others.

When I am not using a project I simply close it and Eclipse ignores it until I
reopen it meaning that having 20 or so projects won't hurt performance if you
only have the one(s) you are working on open.  To close a project right click
on it and select close.  Then a month from now when you need to reopen it you
do not have to do an import.  Its there and just needs to be opened.

Setting up your local dev environment like this (or similar) is a simple task
and usually makes life much easier as a programmer.

Like Sean, I do not understand the resistance to projects/sites etc.

Wil Genovese
Sr. Web Application Developer/
Systems Administrator

Wil Genovese Consulting