> How many folks think of a "web site" or a "web application" when
> they're editing / creating new files? Do folks really find it a
> stretch to go from that concept to an actual site/project in
> their IDE? I'm genuinely curious about this because I can't
> imagine working without sites / projects and I want to really
> understand why there is such a pushback on this... Thanx!

It's not the files that are already part of my web application that usually
present a problem-- it's the exceptions that crop up from time to time that are
really annoying.

One of the most common scenarios for me is when I've downloaded some bit of
code or UDF off the Internet.  Since it's not part of any actual site yet and
probably laying on my desktop in a zip file, I'll just want to quickly open it
up and read through it to see if I feel like using it or just want to delete
it.

My 2nd most common scenario is usually some bit of javascript or HTML code that
I have copied and wish to toss in a temporary .html file and quickly edit for
the sake of veiwing in a browser.

My 3rd scenario is the very handy HTML and XML code formatted from Homesite.  I
would regularly use Homsite to open random config files off my hard drive for
formatting that had nothing to do with the web.  So, sometimes I will want to
use a feature of the editor on a random text file.

And my 4th scenario is the rare occasion that I would need to open a file
directly off one of my staging or production servers via a
UNC file path.  Loading hundreds of megs of code over a network into a project
just to deal with one file is not really an option.

Now there might be work-arounds or alternative methods for each of my
scenarios, but the fact of the matter is that's what I'm used to, it works very
well, and why should I shoe-horn each of those exceptions into a project when
they don't need to be?  For the rest of the files I edit that are actually part
of an established application, I don't have any problem with projects with the
exception that Eclipse can sometimes be painfully slow when switching from one
to another.

~Brad