I was just completing a short survey from
"Application Development Trends" for their
their 2011 Reader Survey.

I got to this question...

"Which of the following languages/tools are currently
in use in your enterprise? (Check all that apply.)"

...and was very surprised to see everything under the
sun listed, except ColdFusion. From PHP, to Oracle,
ASP, HTML, XML, etc, etc... and not even and "Other"
space to use where I could input ColdFusion or CFML.

I did finally notice, in the next question, which read...

"Which software development platforms are currently
in use in your enterprise? (Check all that apply.)"

... and, there listed at top of the list, was
"Adobe Cold Fusion" (yes, spelled with a space).

Now, not knowing much about any other platforms, such
as ASP and its dependency on a server to run it, I did
notice that ASP was listed in the first question I mentioned
and Microsoft ASP.NET was also listed in the second
question above, CFML or ColdFusion is not listed in both.
Isn't MS ASP.NET necessary to use ASP code?  And, if so,
why wouldn't there be mention of CFML in the first question's
possible responses, if ASP is listed in the first and
MS.NET in the second? (Hopefully that makes sense...)

It seems, that while ColdFusion is seen "software
development platform", CFML is not, at least of this
survey, recognized as a "language/tool" for development,
of a broad range of applications, from desktop to web.

It was just very curious that CFML was not even on the
list in the first question.

Rick