What I always find most annoying about this topic when it comes up is
the basis on what such claims are made, usually the person saying
ColdFusion is dead/dying has absolutely no evidence or research to
back this up, it is just their own opinion.

In order to have basis for such a claim you would need to be working
in a business that deals with ColdFusion in such a way that you are
aware of the number of people using ColdFusion and new customers
enquiring about ColdFusion. Just being a developer and using cf-talk
doesn't really fall into that category.
As I run a cfcommunity and work for a cf hosting co I do see how many
new users/customers come and go from those 2 perspectives, so I can
give some real world feedback on that and what I can say is that
things are pretty quiet on both fronts, not much new user activity, so
things are pretty stagnant.
We have also noticed recently that quite a few hosts are dropping
support for CF  as we have been getting a lot of their cast off's.
We have also noticed an increased number of customers migrating to
PHP, which mainly seems to be down to  they have been told by someone
else that CF is dead or because they wanted to use Wordpress.

Sure the community seems a bit dead these days, but this in itself
does not speak for ColdFusion.
It could simply mean there are not many new developers coming into the
world of CF or those that are have not joined CF-TALK or do not want
to because they don't like communities. Many folks don't join lists
like this because they don't want to get attacked by trolls and flame
baiter's  and shot down by so called GURU's for the way they code.
If I was a newbie to CF and joined this list, i'd probably
un-subscribe a week later and I bet a lot of the old members have gone
for the same reasons.

As for there being no resources for newbies, here are a few I know off
the top of my head.

1. livedocs.adobe.com
Plenty of good stuff right here in the docs for newbies
2. www.easycfm.com
3. The Adobe CF forums
4. www.cfmldeveloper.com
5. www.sitepoint.com - e.g http://www.sitepoint.com/cold-fusion-tutorial/