> The problem is one of perception: the overwhelming majority of people
> entering the programming arena will  - rightfully
> so - go with .Net or PHP instead of Coldfusion. For a few very simple reasons:
>
> 1. They are more popular, especially PHP.
> 2. Because they are more popular, the person feels that employment/income
> opportunities will be better with those languages.
> 3. The resources available to beginners are more numerous or simply visible
> (PHP).
> 4. For whatever the reason, Coldfusion is perceived as something of a
> 'has-been' language.

You seem to think that web development is a "winner-take-all" market.
But it isn't. There's room for plenty of web development languages. CF
is one of those languages. Not everyone has to use CF for it to be a
successful product. It just has to make money for Adobe.

> And, yes, you would not hire guys without great expertise. But that's not
> what pays the bills at Adobe. It is the great 'unwashed masses'
> who will ultimately dictate whether Coldfusion thrives or just continues on
> life support until the current generation of diehards dies out.
> It is a reality. 99% of the guys doing PHP are just WordPress hackers - but
> who cares? I wish Coldfusion  - as good as it is - could
> say the same.

Unless those unwashed masses start buying software licenses, they
don't pay the bills at Adobe. CF is not free. PHP is free. CF is sold
to companies, and it really isn't marketed to the freelance web
developer, etc. Unless those WordPress hackers are willing to cough up
the dough for a CF Standard license, they may as well not exist as far
as Adobe is concerned.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
http://training.figleaf.com/

instruction at our training centers, online, or onsit