To give a littler perspective, Irvin, I'm hiring developers currently
in one language and working on learning a couple others myself.

Right now I'm in a .Net shop and hiring a dev or two for some
projects. A number of them are web apps that need:

MVC knowledge
IOC/DI container understanding
Solid OOP

I got acquired by the company I work for and, having never done
C#/.Net development, I had to figure out how I was going to take my
apps and start porting them from CF over to C#/.Net.  Fortunately for
me, I'd kept up with developments in the CF world and had already
started learning OOP, had started picking up ColdBox (an MVC
framework), had already started figuring out IOC. So it was a matter
of learning a new language more than it was learning fundamentally new
concepts.

Some things are different for sure, like duck typing vs static typing,
interfaces, etc, but the concepts you are referring to as the
"complicated stuff that 99% of people don't need to know" are actually
concepts that span most languages are deal with organizational
constructs that are common to creating solid, reusable, maintainable
code for real projects.

There is no way I'd hire a developer, in any language, at this point
that didn't understand OOP. They don't have to use it for every little
thing, but they need to understand what it is and when to use it. If
it is a web project, they should know what MVC is and when/why to use
that. If it is more of a RIA app, I'd expect them to understand MVVM
and similar paradigms.

The same concepts about separation of concerns, reusable code, unit
testing, design patterns, fundamental architectural concerns and
decisions, those are the sorts of things that make good programmers.
Some languages make some bits easier and some make other bits easier.
And some languages just "feel" right and make it a pleasure to express
yourself in. But most of the things I know about creating good
software are the same in CF as in .Net and Ruby and Scala and
Javascript. And, yes, even in PHP (though it's been awhile since I
done any PHP).

In my opinion, CF happens to allow me to do a lot of the good stuff in
less code than I'd use in most other languages and to do so in a way
that makes me feel comfortable. CF may, or may not, be dying a slow
death, but as some one who codes and hires in other languages, I can
tell you that having the community talking about how to write better,
more maintainable, testable, extensible code will never be one of
those reasons.

Cheers,
Judah