On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Michael David <li...@michaeldavid.com>wrote:

> Anyone out there using Railo in a a high volume production environment?
>   Using beefy hardware, I have been able to avoid the need to cluster so
> far.  So, how is Railo's performance?

My observations have been that generally speaking, Railo outperforms
ColdFusion, but this is dependent on your code, your app, etc... there is
no guarantee that it will be faster. Be sure to test your app yourself.

The thing I need most is dependability.  I don't just have time to
> babysit temperamental installs. Is Railo rock-solid?

It's pretty solid, though there are occasional issues. I have to say that
I've found a few more issues on Railo than I have in CF, but the Railo guys
usually fix them very quickly (sometimes in 24 hours) where Adobe can take
months or even an entire product cycle to fix something.

And what about security?

What about it? This question is not specific enough to answer.

> How is its cfscript implementation?  I am on a mission to avoid tags to
> the extent possible, except when rendering html.

It's fine.

> I checked out Railo's unsupported tags and functions, and only
> cfspreadsheet is a problem, but I see that there is
> an extension out there.  I often have the need to output data into
> multiple sheets within one file...

If you are the impatient type who expects everything to work the first
time, 100% of the time, and are not willing to invest any TIME at all
figuring something out, this is usually offset with another type of
investment: MONEY. If this is your expectation, I would either 1) buy Adobe
ColdFusion commercial licenses w/support or 2) user Railo and buy
consulting help from the Railo team (getrailo.com).

Having said that, I've gotten Railo working in production without buying
consulting, but I may or may not have more patience than you do.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress