On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM, Michael David <li...@michaeldavid.com>wrote:

> So -- the new CF licensing policy has me thinking....
>
> Anyone out there using Railo in a a high volume production environment?
>   Using beefy hardware, I have been able to avoid the need to cluster so
> far.  So, how is Railo's performance?

Unless you're doing something like a lot of Microsoft or PDF integration,
Railo will obliterate ACF in performance. Every time. All the time.
Period.  You'll need wwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy less hardware
with Railo.

> The thing I need most is dependability.  I don't just have time to
> babysit temperamental installs. Is Railo rock-solid?

Hell yes.

> And what about security?

Not sure what exactly you're getting at, but Railo is at least as "secure"
as ACF. In just a basic installation, I'd venture to say that Railo is more
secure, as each Railo instance provides sandboxing out of the box, giving a
"Web Administrator" to each project/application. But to really answer your
question, we'd need a much more detailed question (or series of questions).

> How is its cfscript implementation?  I am on a mission to avoid tags to
> the extent possible, except when rendering html.

Railo's cfscript implementation beats the hell out of ACF's, and has for
years.

Go run this on ACF. Then install Railo and give it a whirl. :-)

<cfscript>
    foo = {
        x:'yay!',
        y:'hooray!',
        z:'rock on, Railo!'
    }
    writeDump( foo )
</cfscript>

> I checked out Railo's unsupported tags and functions, and only
> cfspreadsheet is a problem, but I see that there is
> an extension out there.  I often have the need to output data into
> multiple sheets within one file...

I don't do much with cfspreadsheet, so I don't know if that's a deal
breaker or not. I can say that the extension has done what I needed and
done it well the handful of times I've needed that functionality.

<opinion>

Bottom line. The future of CFML *is* Railo.

</opinion>

HTH!