I'll guess this is more a situation with IT restricting software installs
to workstations.

Heck we've even had problems with advanced users (who have been granted
administration rights to their workstations) abusing the privilege by
running torrents and other inappropriate software.

Government is notorious for this.

I would maybe recommend doing a multi-instance install of CF on your dev
server and give each developer an instance if possible. May be easier for
IT to manage that.

Or if you have budget offer a bring your own IT credit, where developers
could use their own laptops and you bonus them an amount towards their
hardware.

Byron Mann
Lead Engineer & Architect
HostMySite.com