On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 5:51 PM, Michael Christensen wrote:

> For us at least, running on a shared codebase with 1 development server
> and all code available via a webpath (usually mounted as a drive for
> convenience) works quite well and has done so without major snafus for 10+
> years.

Michael-

I've worked with a shop in the past that used one development server
successfully (with Perforce) bu giving each developer their own directory
on the server to each put their own copy of the code. This helps in cases
where you may have complicated server software that you don't want to
instal on everyone's desktops, but still means someone's setting up the
code a bunch of times in a bunch or directories.

In that case, each developer had their own port on the webserver mapped to
their copy of the code. this let people play in their own protected little
sandboxes, but still on one central server. Might be food for thought in
your case.

However, for the record, I wholeheartedly agree with the recommendation to
consider moving to a local development model. If you are brave, you can
even tinker with that idea without making the whole team do it. Just set
things up on your own local computer and give it a week or two of working
that way to see if it's really as hard as you think. You may be surprised.

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress