On 31 January 2013 14:24, Dave Watts <dwa...@figleaf.com> wrote:

> > But on their own machines, I'd imagine they should be able to install CF.
> > I would expect a designer to install Photoshop. (OK, maybe IT could
> > pre-image that since CS is so freaking huge.)
>
> This has not been my experience at large organizations. People often
> can't install software, period. That has to be done by IT (manually,
> or via automation).

This is the same with me. There are a lot of devs out there with the
capabilities to do this, sure. But a surprising number could not, would not
be able to understand the install instructions, and would not have the nous
to work out what to do when they get stuck. A very high number of CF devs I
have encountered don't know where there log files are, where the mail spool
dirs are, really fundamental stuff like that. They know CFML, and that's
it. How they come to be this way,I really don't understand, but this is the
way they are.

As for more desktop-software-oriented people? You're having a laugh to
suggest they could install something in a coherent fashion (other than by
accident).

--
Adam