From: Benjamin S. Rogers [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2001 11:55 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Cold Fusion Forums

Heh heh heh...my point exactly. :) www.anandtech.com looks exactly like
every other FuseTalk forum I've seen.

Changing colors is not enough to integrate a canned application into the
design and layout of a Web site in a manner that provides the end user with
a consistent and fluid user experience. If it is a familiar interface you
are after, you might as well choose 4um, though my guess is that 4um would
be just as difficult to customize.

My point is that the FuseTalk forums seem to allow you to customize the
colors with very little effort. You can even customize the images with a
little persistence.

However, the layout and design of the application requires the full breadth
of a 800x600 screen to be useable. If all you have control over on the
administrative side is the colors, then you have to go to the source code
and rewrite much of the overly GUI design. Once you've done this, you've
killed the upgrade path and defeated the purpose of buying the application
instead of coding it yourself.

Since the price for the application with the source code is outrageous (it
is even a little steep without the source code), this generally precludes
the possibility that one would even purchase the source code license (which
is probably the point of the high price tag).

Don't get me wrong. The application seems very solid and has a fairly
respectable customer base. FuseTalk forums rarely seem slow or unresponsive
as Allaire Forums have often felt. But without being able to perform most of
the customizations of the layout and design elements without going to the
source code, we won't be able to resell it our customers.

Benjamin S. Rogers
Web Developer, c4.net
Voice: (508) 240-0051