This is why I strongly believe that Adobe should move the CFML Engine into
the Open Source market, the others(Railo/openBD etc.) can decide to help
Adobe improve this or even get more support from the community by doing
this.

The language itself would be up to date, and released more often.

The rest of ColdFusion that makes life a bit easier can be modularized,
which would allow Adobe to focus more on that than the actual engine.
Providing better PDF support, Reports etc., would be an area that Adobe can
then begin releasing more modules and better improved modules over time.

I maintain that this should have happened a long time ago, the core CFML
Engine should come with no restrictions on threads etc and Adobe can still
package this up with an Enterprise package support program for those who
wish to spend the money for that much needed support.

But the CFML Engine should be released into the open source market, so it
can grow at the same rate as other technologies and languages and not be
hindered by a 2 year turn around for updates, patches and enhancements. As
this is not a good thing for this language in any way shape or form, it will
just keep ColdFusion behind other languages.

Wishful thinking I know, but Adobe must know that they could provide more
this way and provide better modules/plugins into other applications they
own. Like getting the server side to run scripts to do photo manipulation
with template scripts into PhotoShop. The imagination of what could be
achieved with modules and the rest of Adobes suite of Applications will
become endless as they can release that module when it is ready, and not be
hindered by other modules.

Adobe are you listening? You have a suite of Applications that no other
language can leverage of, but you are bogged down by long release cycles
that see very little integration into the server for you applications suite.