> Implementing scores of kinda-somewhat-maybe-useful features is a
> great way to destroy any application.

One feature that should be extremely simple to implement and has a long
history of use is going to destroy FreeNet? It shouldn't even effect the
protocol at all. Surely you're being over dramatic. I'm not asking you to
add a talking paper clip. Certainly having no features leaves you with no
application at all.

> And the "transparent store" thing is _clearly_ useless.

Maybe if you never want to have more than a couple gigs of files on your
network. If you want massive numbers of files available then it's a very
useful feature. Not everyone is willing to clone every single file they
have just for FreeNet. Certainly not people with any large number of files
they'd like to insert.

I'm certain I'd be rather annoyed if my webserver wanted me to cache all
my files in a certain manner that makes them inaccessible to other
programs. Or how about my file server? Damn all this time I've been making
my files available on my network via web, scp, ftp, NFS, Samba, and
Appletalk. Now I'll have to make 6 different copies of every file. It just
wouldn't make sense and it doesn't make sense for FreeNet either.

I understand the need for secure caches but it's an entirely different
issue in this case. I have no need to hide the fact that I'm making
these files available. It'd be fully evident to anyone interested because
there'd be fully visible copies still on the machine.