When I first read the slashdot article "Lawrence Lessig Answers Your
Questions" (http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/21/155221) I
cried, which is really saying something as I do not cry often.  And
since them I have been having a wide variety of fixed emotions.  But I
think it settled down to being scared.  Part of my fear can best be
described by the following article "The Coming Storm" by Bruce Bell
(http://eon.law.harvard.edu/openlaw/DVD/articles/comingstorm.html).
The other part of my fear is the fact that very few people understand
what the existence of the Internet really means, and even fewer people
see the upcoming battle.  I know I didn't fully grasp what is going on
until I read the Lawrence Lessig responses.  We have a fundamental
paradigm shift on our hands and hardly any one sees it.  Hardly anyone
sees that in with the existence of the Internet it is going to
imposable to control the flow of information, period.  The only way
to stop this flow of information is to ban people all together from
the Internet.  Any sort of censorship and copy protection is going to
be defeated, plain and simple.  What is even scarier is that if
Richard Stallman article "The Right to Read"
(http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html) was worded slightly
differently I have a felling many people will not see the problem
with the picture he is painting.  However, what really is upsetting me
lately is that I have absolutely know idea how to get the typical
person to understand the magnitude of what is going on.  I truly
fell that the upcoming issues over the free flow of information are
major, very major.  Even bigger than the terrorist attack on the U.S.
However, hardly any one is even aware of it, and I don't know how to
make them aware.

So, my point of posting this is to hopefully open up some discussion on
what is really going to happen and to address the key problem that has
really gotten me down lately:

  How the hell do you get the average person to understand the full
  magnitude of what the Internet means?  And how do you explain how
  the DMCA is just downright wrong, and how if the various media
  originations (such as the RIAA, the MPAA) had there way we would be
  living in a world exactly as Richard Stallman explains.  Or even
  how to get them to understand that the picture Richard Stallman is
  painting is just wrong in more ways than once.

I have never been so serious about anything in my life and would
really like some input here.  I have felt certain ways against other
issues in the past but all of them are extremely minor compared to
this.

Also, if you know of better ways places to post this please let me
know.

Yours,
Kevin.