Well I think I forgot to mention one more important fact in the whole transaction.  He also told me it wouldn't be done for almost a year.  :-(  I would have much less problem with the $5000 estimate if he would just jump on it and do it and get it done.  Why, if shops are getting paid for their time, do they insist on putting it behind insurance work.  I mean couldn't a shop just jump on it and get it done in a couple of weeks and then get their money?  Sheesh.  I can honestly say that after all the troubles I have had trying to get this thing looking decent (this is about the 10th shop I've been to and the first other than Maaco who would actually take the job) that I am almost to the point of just selling the damn thing as it is and waiting until I can buy a Chevelle with a paint job already.  :-(  This "hobby" shouldn't be so frustrating.

Spatch

----- Original Message -----
From: NoNeck
Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 6:29 AM
Subject: Re: [Chevelle-List] Paint Job Prices

Spatch, those numbers don't sound too far off amazingly. As you may know, I recently got my 72 finished. My buddy (who owns the body shop) allowed me to do all the labor. (I stripped the whole car, cut off the rear quarters, welded the new ones on, skinned a door, removed and replaced all the glass, fixed rust spots, removed and reinstalled new outer wheelhouses, primed and blocked the whole body etc...) The only things he really did other than guide me were to help put the front sheetmetal on and align it, shoot the paint and buff it. Anyway, he just gave me the bill for materials only. It was $1400. It was basecoat, clear coat, and lots of Uro prime and Vari- Prime, plus seam sealers, metal ready, sand paper,etc... I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I had in doing all the prep work, but I will tell you, I started the body work in Jan. of last year, by removing the 1/4's at home and stripping the roof, doors etc... Then tho doors, hood, fenders and deck lid were primed,blocked, and cut in in the new color. After all that was ready, the car shell was ready to go into the shop in June and was completed in the last week in Sept. At that time I brought the painted shell home and started putting all the glass, trim and interior in. During those ten months, I spent every day off and many hours before and after work at the shop and I have 3 days a week, off!
Josh Gin (NoNeck) Visit my Chevelle website www.NoNecksChevelle.com