> The interesting thing would be if there are any ALSA users who do _not_ need
> this option. The hardware/OS/ALSA version combination may give some clues
> where the workaround is needed.
>
> -- Hannes

I seem to be one of those interesting  cases.

On reading your message I switched from oss to alsa and didn't enable
the workaround.  Sound was fine and playback smooth.  No lock-ups.  Not
after a restart either.  Any reliable way of reproducing this problem ?
I am using Audigy 2ZS sound card on an Asus A8n-sli premium mobo.  2gb
ram, AMD64 X2 4200+.  Onboard sound disabled.  Single PCI-Express
Geforce6 video card with nvidia binary blob driver.  On the Creative
Labs card I am using the default emu10k1 'standard pcm playback
device' (hw 0,1) rather than the newer 32 bit p16v chip.  The setup is
FC4_64.  Alsa version 1.0.10-3

I'm not great at troubleshooting but happy to try...

Graham