On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 16:37 +0800, Martin Ellison wrote:

> Could you explain this more? svn allows branching, so why not just
> create as many development branches as required and work there?

git allows a project to be forked easily, whereas svn is geared towards
central command. svn requires centralised commit privileges, whereas git
does not.

When I clone a project using git, I am forking someone else's project.
Someone else can do the same to mine. Now, I can continue developing my
fork independently of everyone else; but hopefully more likely, I am
aiming to get my code propagated all the way to the top. How I do this
(well, it doesn't HAVE to be done this way, I am merely illustrating) is
that I approach the guy that I forked from to incorporate my patches. If
he does so, then hopefully someone further up the chain trusts the guy
that I submitted my patches to, so he incorporates them too. So the
patches filter up the chain.

Compare this to svn, where you need permission granted right at the top
of the chain from the outset, and with no "chain of command" in
intermediate layers.

The git model works for Linus, but doesn't appear to be going too well
for Cinelerra. What I believe we're seeing is not much in the way of
upstream integration. So when people fork, they're in effect creating a
true fork, leading to a "balkanisation" (although that might be too
strong a word) of the code.