Thanks Hermann, for the excellent help.
After reading your post several times I understand much better what is going on with saving and back up. I am not all that concerned about having to build my time line again as this time unlike when I crashed a few days ago with the MP3 file this time I don't have nearly so much work involved. I will be away over the weekend but today and as many days as I need next week I will spend the time to understand how to handle this situation by editing the .eml save files if I need to. Because of these two crashes I have had I now feel pretty naked that I don't know how to go in and retrive what I can of my work in situations like I have experienced. I will likely be calling on you and the list for help as I study over next week. I have been saving a lot during the production and editing. I also have been saving backup a lot which I guess is not necessary and maybe not even desirable as it's a good oppertunity to make a mistake. I have been doing all this saving with out any thought going into it and that is a huge mistake because as I have experienced it is possible to save nothing over the save files. I have been working under the Misapprehension that save was saving the video and that save back was saving the decisions that made up the video. Then rendering put the two together to make a mov.
file.  So it's all there in save and backup is only a failsafe measure.
As you can see from this, I don't really understand Cinelerra. I am learning. I have mentioned using Premiere but I like Cinelerra much better. For one thing I feel I am doing art when working in it. Premiere feels somehow mechanical. Besides that I can build a really nice render farm for the cost of propitiatory software. Not that I need one but I could have it if I wanted. Doug