I at no point said it was a good idea

I know VLSM and discontigous subnets break rip - we don't know enough from
the previous post to make assumptions.  I can agree that it's rare to find
REAL networks with contigous subnets, and the same length subnet mask
network wide, but it happens.

I know it's pointless to run them both like that, RIP would just consume
bandwidth, processor, and depending on the design of the internetwork, break
routing all together

Redistribution is a wonderful thing, easy to implement, and efficient

The point of my post wasn't to argue these points.  You mentioned you would
call somebody stupid, flat out, if they wanted to run rip and ospf network
wide.  I don't agree with that, perhaps the "stupid" individual doesn't
understand VLSM and contigous subnets, maybe he thinks ospf and rip will
operate like normal, and the ospf routes will be put in the route table
before the rip routes due to admin distance, maybe he hasn't heard of
redistribution?  That isn't stupid.. just uninformed.

Anyway, I didnt mean to start a big flame, so I apologize for picking your
spelling apart, I just dont like it when people take the "this guy's an
idiot" towards people who are just a tad bit mis-informed.

So, to make this thread worthwhile, to the originator of this thread and the
guy who mixed ospf and eigrp up:

1) EIGRP is the protocol that can handle ip,ipx,apple
2) running rip and ospf network wide, with no redistribution scheme at all
will BREAK routing in all but a few rare situations, and in those situations
where it wont completely destroy the routing tables network wide, it would
merely consume bandwidth, and serve no purpose.
3) RIP can't handle VLSM (Variable Length Subnet Mask, aka dividing an
address space unequally) but can handle subnetting where you use the same
length mask network wide.
4) Due to RIP's auto summarizing, it doesnt advertise subnets out an
interface on a different network, rather it advertises the entire network,
so if you have 192.168.1.1/30 ------
 (routera) ----10.1.1.1/8-------10.1.1.2/8-----
(routerb)--------192.168.1.5/30
you can see, 192.168.1.0 is split with the 10.0.0.0 network, so routera will
advertise 192.168.1.0/24 out on the 10.1.1.1 interface, and routerb will
advertise the same out it's 10.1.1.2 interface.  So both router's learn they
have routers to 192.168.1.0 through each interface..you can see how this
breaks routings.

This demonstrates how discontigous subnets break rip, but if you put a
secondary addresse on the 10.1.1.1 and 10.1.1.2 interface, maybe
192.168.1.9/30 and .10/30, then you would create a contigous subnet, and rip
would function correctly (note you would have 2 packets coming out on the
10.0.0.0 segment per router, one for the primary and one for the secondary
address, consuming double the bandwidth).

Maybe im misinformed?  This is the information i've learned from reading
Doyle's book, and running these protocols at work.

Richard