Mike -
I fully agree with you that the person doing the tech screen should be
another tech.  Our HR department is always asking me to furnish them with a
list of tech questions and answers for prospective candidates.  I keep
refusing.  As far as not asking the CCIE questions, I must disagree.  While
I value the CCIE as I aspire to obtain mine one day, I would still put them
through a tech screen.  I wouldn't disrespect them by asking them things
such as "at what level of the osi model does routing happen", but I would
make sure that there skill sets are compatible with what we are looking for.
For example, If I was an ISP looking for a CCIE, I would make sure that they
knew BGP inside and out.  Hypothetically, what if a candidate has had their
CCIE for a number of years, but has not worked at a shop where they are
required to use BGP skills (like I said, Hypothetically).  They may have
their CCIE, but I wont know if their skill set is aligned with the skill set
I need without a tech screen.

Joe