Unfortunately, there are already those who claim certification, and even
present faked credentials. As a former hiring manager, and as a certified
candidate, I have no problem with an interview structured around this kind
of discovery.

The interview serves a couple of purposes. For the candidate it is the place
where one demonstrates the ability to do the job, demonstrates that there
will be value added, and allows a chance to discover if this is the right
place for the candidate to work - right people, right attitude, right growth
potential, right salary. For the employer it is the place where one
discovers if the candidate fits, if the background is there, if interactive
skills are acceptable, any other intangibles.

There is already an industry built around diploma mills. For x dollars they
will present you with a very nice diploma from the university of your
choice. If the technical field were to take certification as the ONLY
criteria, with no discovery process, how long do you think it would be until
some printing press somewhere was cranking out CCIE certificates?

Speaking of cranking out, any recent CCNP's received their package from
Cisco yet? It has been eight weeks since my award, and almost six weeks
since the galton site indicated I was in the system. My boss is asking.

Chuck