A tech screening is one thing.  And if the person asking the techincal
questions is a techincal person, that's fine too.  That allows an
intelligent conversation to start between the two techincal people, and the
person doing the asking will get a good feel for what the interviewee
knows........  Having said that, too many places have their goons from HR
that don't know technical squat to come and give a "technical
screening"......... That's crazy.  It happens way too often, especially in
gov't jobs.

You said "If I am hiring a CCIE, he better know his stuff.  Other then the
certs, how do you suggest I check on his knowledge."  Although I realize
that many times people can get "paper certs" without truly understanding the
what it's about, I'd be willing to say that CCIE speaks for itself.  That
isn't simply a test you study a month for, and walk in and BAM! you're a
CCIE.  To me if there one one cert (out of all of them) that I would accept
at face value without question, it would be the CCIE.  Not to say I would
ask questions (like you mentioned) to see how a person reacts to a
situation.  But I also agree (with whomever said it) that learning never
stops, no one can know everything, and most times the people doing the
techincal questioning aren't technical people.......  I've been in that
spot, where someone that is *not* technical is questioning my techincal
skills.  That kind of crap doesn't need to happen..

My 2 cents.......

Mike W.

000701bfcbb2$1b4fe020$[EMAIL PROTECTED]">news:000701bfcbb2$1b4fe020$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...