>Hello my friends,
>
>I have been looking for a job in Cisco field.  I have earned CCNA,
>already have MCSE, and doing my CCNP now. While going for
>interviews, I sometime feel that this Routing and Swtiching
>environment is strictly man dominated.  I have never seen a woman
>interviewing me for WAN job.  Funny thing is that I am going to one
>institute from last couple of months and I am only one girl taking
>CCNP classes with 25+ men in my class. Sometimes, I sit back and
>think that if I have chosen a wrong profession??  Any advice from
>people who are already working in this field will be helpful.  Is
>there any sex discrimination going on for these jobs?
>By the way, I am in USA this time.
>
>Thanks for the consideration!
>
>Maria

In the certification area, we have quite a few women.  Priscilla
Oppenheimer, Leigh Anne Chisholm, and Kate Tallis are authors for
CertificationZone.  Hoping I don't offend any list members I miss,
groupstudy posts from Pamela Forsyth, Annlee Hines, Jenny McLeod and
others are must-read.  Excellent authors and teachers include Galina
Pildush, Clare Gough, and Laura Chappell.

Broadening the scope, IETF area directors include Deirdre Kostick for
management and Joyce Reynolds for User Services.  Nancy Feldman is
one of the key IETF designers of MPLS. Radia Perlman is one of the
Great Authorities of routing, as much as anyone. Chris Hemrick is a
Cisco VP with lots of development and standards experience; we worked
together years and years ago.  Heather Achilles is one of the
software development VP's at Nortel.

Grace Hopper is usually considered the modern Mother of Programming,
although the historical claim can be made for the 19th century by
Ada, Lady Lovelace.  I have had the pleasure of a couple of chats
with Admiral Grace, who is with us no longer. There is a Navy
destroyer named for her, and I suspect its computer department will
be the best in the fleet.  Jean Sammet is a less well-known but
important pioneer in programming  languages.

In security,  Dorothy Denning and Sandra Murphy are people that
people listen to very carefully.  For that matter, Ann Cacateris
retired recently as deputy director of NSA and Nora Slatkin as
Executive Director of CIA.

Yes, there are more men than women. But I honestly feel that women
are welcomed in all but a few places, and the hiring there is done by
Catbert, Evil HR Director