Let me speak to this from a woman's point of view.  Being a trailblazer
isn't a lot of fun, trust me.  You are exactly right, this is a HEAVILY
male-dominated field, and the best way to think of it as if the field were
like white-collar construction; lots of male macho behaviour.  Some of the
crap I've heard and been exposed to in this field would automatically get
people fired in other disciplines, but because they're just boyz, well, they
were just kidding.....
The level of sexual comments can be quite high - much higher than any other
job I've been in......I mean I've heard some really offensive stuff coming
out of some male techs some times......

Often assertive women will get nailed (ie - fired, or tagged as being a dyke
for being too assertive.....etc - you know the drill, I'm betting).  If
you're beautiful, 5'2" and submissive, that's perfect for a lot of these
guys - but what that do for you in your career?  The requirement for this
job, I believe, is for a secure, professional and assertive person (notice I
did not mention gender in my description).

Yes, to some degree some men like diversity, but GOD FORBID that woman
actually knows more than they do.........

But having said all that, is it a good field for women?  YES!  There's NO
reason we can't do the work, and this field, as you already have noted, is
DESPARATE for female presence.......it's going to happen sooner or later,
and the pay is decent.  You're on the right track.  PLEASE keep