"R Gore", I'd love to work with you...  My dream job is to work with people I could
learn from, and that could learn from me.  <sigh>.

As a blonde, blue-eyed, slim, 32 year old female, I have not encountered sexual
inuendo or harassment by fellow networkers, but yes, it happens.  As the only female
instructor teaching at a post-secondary level in the School of Electronics and
Electrical Engineering Technology at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, I
was asked to go out to all the high schools, representing the institute and use my
"femaleness" to attract female students to the program.  The problem was that
enrollment had started to drop drastically... and fewer students means fewer incoming
dollars.  They were prepared to use whatever means available to get students into the
program.  I wasn't impressed...

Often however, it's not harassment I encounter, but rather people tend to treat me as
if I don't know anything--I've had a monitor unplugged when on course by a guy who
thought I'd whine to the instructor being unable to fix it myself.  He thought I was
just a pretty face (his friend ratted on him when I quickly discovered the problem).

Yes, females *ARE* treated differently... but for me, it's always been an advantage.
I'm a people person, and I **like** to get to know people - to find out what they're
up to, what challenges they're encountering.  Because I'm female, I'm rare and because
of my gender, I attract attention when I walk into a room full of men.  From seminar
to seminar, people notice me.  After seeing me several times, their curiosity is
piqued, and they'll come over and initiate a dialog with me, especially if I'm talking
with someone they know.  I generally get to know more people than the average
"networker".

Being female has been to my advantage - employers tend to hire people they know and
most of my work experience has been a result of people asking me to work for them.
The key is to treat people with respect--if they return the respect, grand!  If they
don't, then they weren't worth getting to know anyway and you really didn't want to
work there...

  -- Leigh Anne