From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Priscilla Oppenheimer
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2000 8:09 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Very good web site for CCNA

To paraphrase Stephen King, think of it this way:

You can't walk into a bookstore and say, "Hey, I bought a copy of 'CCNA
Study Guide' yesterday so now I'm taking 10,000 more copies to give to my
friends." Right?

So you can't publish on the Internet the copy that you bought either.

A library is not a good analogy. A library buys one or two copies and
serially lends it to one person after another. That's pretty different than
giving it to thousands of people all at once. A library has special rights
under the copyright law, but they don't extend to providing the material to
numerous people that would have otherwise bought the book (perhaps).

The publishing industry definitely needs to think of new ways of creatively
making money on the Internet. But let's hope people don't stymie those
efforts by giving away material that is not theirs to give.

OK, let's get back to Cisco questions now.

Priscilla

At 03:43 PM 7/24/00, Brian wrote:

>I am not for anyone commiting theft, so please don't get me wrong.  But
>this brings up some interesting arguments.  Is someone putting a CD in a
>publically accessable document root theft?  Or does it only become theft
>when someone else out there on the Internet decides to download/view
>it?  And then who is the theif, the person that owns and is exporting the
>CD, or the person who does not own and is viewing?
>
>In libraries most works are copywrited, yet they let people check and and
>view the books without paying, how is this different?  I mean how are
>libraries allowed to essentially buy books and then loan them to people
>for free............once again, don't take this the wrong way, I own all
>my study materials and I find them a great reference, I like new shiny
>books with hardcovers :)), but this is a modern day we live in and it
>brings up new arguments for the digital millenium, and I don't know all
>the answers.
>
>Brian
>

>On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>
> > I was really impressed when I first reviewed this online material. It's
so
> > much better than most of the crap that's out there. Then I realized it's
> > the "CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide" by Syngress!
How
> > could someone publish this online?? It appears to be a flagrant example
of
> > theft.
> >
> > Priscilla
> >

> > >----------  From:   Neelanga Udash  Reply To:       Neelanga
> > >Udash  Sent:   Monday, 24 July, 2000 7:43
> > >AM  To:     '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'  Subject:        Very good web site
> for
> > >CCNA
> > >
> > >Dear all,
> > >
> > >Take a look at this site. There is a whole book of CCNA material
written
> > >by  a CCIE,
> > >
> > ><http://www.rkingma.com/cisco/testhome.htm>http://www.rkingma.com/cisco
> /testhome.htm