From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Howard C. Berkowitz
Sent: Saturday, June 07, 2003 11:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: number of CCIE [7:70151]

I commend people to remember the tale of the Emperor's New Clothes here.

It utterly confounds me that people are focusing on the CCIE number
as the discriminator for a hiring decision, "lower being better."

Lower means that one obtained the certification earlier.  Presumably,
since the number was obtained, the individual has been working.  This
can mean that the lower-numbered candidate can present a solid track
record of CCIE-level work experience to an employer, while the
higher-numbered candidate simply may not have the experience.

I've never regarded certification, in any field, as more than an
entry point.  Let's put it this way -- when I had to have open-heart
surgery, I could have chosen among several board-certified surgeons.
The most important factors, however, were how many procedures they
had done, and, even more importantly, how frequently they do them.
Surgical statistics show, without question, that "part-time" cardiac
surgeons and their teams do not have the good results of someone that
does such procedures constantly.