Chris,

STP should be enough to avoid these types of problems. In order to cause
a bridging loop the station would have to have both interfaces in the
same VLAN and forward all L2 traffic except for BPDUs. Even if this were
the case the wireless network (10-Mbps?) shouldn't be enough to bring
the LAN to its knees (100-Mbps?). If you have STP enabled on all of your
switches, I'm doubt that a single station is bringing the network down.

Once you find the offending switch that you need to reboot, you can
issue console commands to determine the root bridge and any blocked
ports. Make sure that things are normal. You do have your root bridge
set manually, don't you? :)

To find out which port is causing the loop, take a look at the interface
counters. You should see an unreal amount of traffic on the offending
port (and the uplink to the core switch).

When STP has been enabled I have only come across layer-2 loops twice.
Once when a few HP switches had gone bad, and another time when a
customer had configured channeling on one side but not the other (3500
series, no channel negotiation).

In both cases I found that the problem was made worse with increasing
traffic levels, and the problem also revolved around the same set of
switches. The channeling problem was a bit more difficult to narrow down
though, since it disabled MLS on the core switch and every segment
appeared to have problems!!!

I hope that helps,

- Tom