At 08:34 PM 6/17/2003 +0000, Priscilla Oppenheimer wrote:
>Access points can be configured to do bridging and I wouldn't be surprised
>to discover that they don't do STP, especially low-end ones from the local
>KMart. A lot of low-end switches don't do STP either.

Yet they filter out BPDUs? If they don't, then assuming proper
configuration on the "high end" switches, can there be really loop?

>  So, the access point
>would have to be inserted into the network just right so that it caused a
>loop, but that's certainly possible. In that case all the looping broadcast
>traffic, not to mention looping unknown unicast traffic, could bring a
>network to its knees.
>
>I'm surprised so many people doubted his decription of the problem!?

A 6509 can switch multiple gigabits of traffic without any problems. You
would need quite a few wireless loops to kill such a box. I might be
missing something but I still doubt that "a user with an integrated
wireless and LAN NIC" can kill bring down a network of 6509 and 3550
switches.

Thanks,

Zsombor