Vikram JeetSingh wrote:

> OK...
>

> My dear friend, NRF, over here is fired up and ready to go on
> anyone, who
> responds on this thread. :)
>

> Nothing personal, but you did mentioned, or rather gave a lot
> of stress on
> maintaining crime-less life (I am not able to understand the
> reason for the
> same, did I mentioned that I was advocating criminals, or are
> higher number
> CCIEs are? not sure) then, you mentioned that knowing English
> is necessary
> or prudent for finding a job in US. Well (though I know English
> reasonably
> well, but) I will like to ask you one thing, do one has IT jobs
> in US only?,
> I am located in India, so does that means that there is a
> complete lack of
> Networking or IT jobs in India..?

First of all, I didn't say that.  I said that you need to speak the language
of whatever country you have to be in if you want to maximize your chances
of getting a job there.    It should surprise absolutely no-one to discover
tha the ability to actually communicate with the people around you is
important.  This really falls under the category of "duh".

But at the risk of opening up a huge and dangerous can of worms, about the
notion of jobs in India, well, you tell me.  I don't want to get into a
nationalistic debate here, but where did the Internet (as the Arpanet) start
- in Indian universities, or in American universities?  I have great respect
for Indian engineers and I've worked with many highly competent Indian
network engineers who've immigrated here to the US, but honestly, how many
Americans move to India for networking jobs?  Surely you would agree that
there are more Indians that come to the US to find work as network engineers
than vice versa.   If there truly are more IT jobs in India than in the US,
then it should follow that more Americans should be moving to India to get
those jobs than Indians coming to the US.  This is precisely why poor
Mexicans come to the US to find jobs but poor Americans don't go to Mexico
to find jobs.

Now don't get me wrong, I give credit where credit is due - India has made
great strides in the last few decades for no doubt the IIT system is a
stellar educational system, and cities like Bangalore have become
world-class IT centers.  But the fact is, there still tends to be more
opportunity for network engineers in the US than in India.  The gap is not
as large as it used to be, for India is improving rapidly, but there's still
a gap.  The proof of that is simple - many Indians, including many of the
best IIT graduates, come to the US to find work, but hardly ever vice
versa.  For example, I've worked with several IIT graduates who were born
and raised in India and have moved to Silicon Valley.  They came here
because they felt there were better economic opportunities here.  And even
in this recession, they are still here even though they are obviously free
to go back to India at anytime.  Yet yow many Americans (born and raised in
the US) go to, say, MIT, and then decide to move to India to advance
themselves economically?  While there are some, there aren't as many as
there are Indians who come here.  That should tell you something.

> Coming back to the main thread, (though people do deviate from
> the main
> threads and wander around, and my response was totally focused
> on Peter's
> response), I am not a CCIE, yet, but whenever I get this number
> for me, be
> it 12000 or 20000, I will not trade it for any lower number. It
> will be MY
> number, and I will not like to part with it. And, while we are
> discussing
> the importance or value of the CCIE program, why was it the
> case that we had
> to start this number trading exercise?

If you read the whole thread starting from the very beginning , you will see
that basically this whole thread has to do with the decline of the CCIE.  My
'killer-proof' of this is that many, and dare I say, most people, if they
are being honest with themselves, will admit that they would like to have a
lower CCIE number for themselves if possible.  Therefore I don't really need
to present any numerical evidence of this decline because most people
already realize this decline in their own heart.

However, you and Peter van Oene wanted to digress into a general discussion
about how to get a job.  While I'm happy to oblige, I would say that such a
discussion is not really germane to the central topic - what has happened to
the CCIE program.  I agree with both you and Peter that the CCIE is really
only a minor factor in terms of getting a job - a far more important factor
are the people you know, and probably even more important than that is not
being a criminal, not engaging in destructive personal lifestyle choices,
and actually being able to speak the language of the country you hope to
work in.

But none of these factors has anything to do with whether the CCIE has
declined or not, and that's why I want to get back to the central
discussion.  If you want to hold another discussion about how to get a job,
again, I'm happy to oblige.  But it seems like that discussion would be
rather boring because looks like we don't disagree on anything, so it would
just be a mutual lovefest and grouphug.  Nothing interesting about that.  ;-)