Duy Nguyen wrote:

> Would it be a good idea to make the CCIE Lab adaptive?  1st,
> everyone will
> try a screener test of overall technologies.  Once you have
> finished, they
> will give you a lab book that they believe are more challenging
> to you.  How
> many lab books do they have, maybe a hundred?  So, in that case
> bootcamps
> would have a hard time knowing everything Cisco have up their
> sleeves.

That's a decent first step.

But I would go further.  I would actually mix up the equipment.  Let me
explain.

Another thing I've been thinking about for awhile is to have racks that are
actually different.  Why exactly does each test rack have to have exactly
the same hardware - the same routers with the same interfaces, the same
switches, the same everything?  Why can't racks be different, except for the
fact that such a thing is logistically easier for Cisco to run?  For
example, one rack could be all Catalyst switches.  Another rack could have
all routers with ISDN.  Another rack could have all routers connected via
ATM.

I believe if you had a variety of racks, you could offer a test that was
much more realistic.  All the production networks in the real world are all
different, so why should all the test networks be the same?  Some real-world
networks consist of mostly switches, some are dial-centric, some are
ATM-oriented, some are like this, some are like that, and  after all, since
the test supposedly prepares you for the real world, doesn't that mean that
it should also include some of the smorgasboard variety that you will see in
the real world?

Furthermore, one of the larger 'corrupting' factors I see these days is guys
trying to build home-labs that exactly replicate the test rack.  I'm not
faulting the test candidates who do such a thing, because I understand why
candidates would want to maximize their chances of passing.  But I think the
true purpose of the CCIE is to demonstrate acuity with technologies and
concepts, not to run around trying to get a perfect facsimile of the test
hardware.

Again, the purpose of the CCIE, supposedly, is to prepare people to take on
real-world networking.  Let's say your boss gives you a network to run - say
100 Cat6500's -  are you going to then need to have your own lab of 100 Cat
6500's before you can do anything useful?  I hope not.    The point is that
if you have a good grounding of networking concepts, you should be able to
flexibly adapt to any topology and any combination of networking hardware
that's thrown at you.  No network engineer will obviously be able to own
test hardware that can actually replicate every single network in the world.
Imagine taking a job at Worldcom - unless you're Bill Gates -you're not
going to build your own test network that will replicate Worldcom.   So why
should this behavior be encouraged within the CCIE program?

Let me reiterate, I'm not faulting individual test-takers for trying to get
that test rack facsimile, I am faulting Cisco for encouraging this kind of
behavior. It's simply yet another way that the test is not realistic. This
sort of thing would be greatly reduced if you simply had lots of different
test racks, which would imply that it would be daunting to actually try to
get all the gear to properly replicate every single possible rack you might
get (with all the different interfaces and whatnot), which would mean that
the focus would shift from trying to get perfect copies of the test hardware
to developing a deep understanding of the underlying technologies and
concepts so that you can properly handle any topology and any hardware that
is thrown at you, and that's really where the focus should have always been.

 The biggest objection I'm sure to hear are logistical arguments that I
alluded to before.  For example, some people will argue that it would be
impossible to have lots of different kinds of racks in all the CCIE lab
locations in the world.  To that, I would say that, as a test candidate,
since all the cabling is already done for you and you got all the figures
and network diagrams, why exactly do the candidates even have to be in the
same room as the racks at all?  Put all the different racks in San Jose and
all the locations can just connect to San Jose remotely through remote
terminal servers.  Anybody who's taken the lab lately (after they moved from
2 days to 1 and got rid of the cabling portion) can attest to the fact that
as a candidate, you probably don't even look at your actual rack - that you
really couldn't care less if the rack is right next to you.  All you care
about is what is the address of the console server and what pieces of gear
are connected to each console connection.  Where exactly the hardware is,
who cares?

Another objection is that such a thing would make the creation of tests
harder, because you'd have different racks with obviously different
connectivity which would imply that Cisco would need to spend more work in
creating test questions.  Yeah, so what? Cisco needs to spend more time
creating test questions.  Let's face it, the tests right now tend to be
quite repetitive.  Without violating NDA, I think we all know that certain
things are just ALWAYS on the test, and I mean ALWAYS.  But why - those
things aren't in all (or even most) real-world networks, so why should they
be a part of all test networks?    The simple fact is, the CCIE program
badly needs a more diverse set of questions, and utilizing a broader playing
field is an excellent way to facilitate that.

The final objection I have heard is that it will make test grading harder.
For example, one person might get the "ISDN rack" and fail whereas he might
have passed if he had gotten  the "switching rack", or something like that,
and therefore a certain element of dumb luck enters into the fray. First of
all, that already happens now - if you happen to get test questions on
subjects that you know very well, you are far more likely to pass than if
you get test questions on subjects that you know poorly.  Second of all,
hey, welcome to the real world, where no 2 networks are alike.  Again, if
your grounding in concepts is good, you should be able to handle the
variety.  Third, need I say it, such objections could be properly addressed
through my old idea of relative scoring (but I digress....)

Anyway, the point is, now I think it is time for Cisco to seriously consider
using different racks.  I see little reason besides inertia and nostalgia
for all test racks to always be exactly the same.

> > Personally I think the best way to solve this problem is to
> force people
> > recertify by taking the current lab exam again.  No more of
> this BS where
> > guys can just take a written exam to recertify.  You want to
> continue
> > calling yourself a CCIE?  Then you should have no problem in
> passing the
> lab
> > again.  Otherwise, we'll convert your status to 'retired
> CCIE' or CCIE
>
> This would be pretty harsh for all CCIE's that have to retake
> the test again
> just to be recertified.

Not to be unduly rough, but it shouldn't matter whether it's harsh or not.
It's their choice about whether they want to recertify or not.  Nobody's
forcing them.  If they maintained their skills, then they should have no
problem in passing.  If they didn't, then, well, they don't deserve to be
called 'experts' anymore.

>How about give them a half-day of
> troubleshooting?
> Bootcamps can teach you to memorize configurations, but its
> pretty hard to
> memorize how to troubleshoot different type of breaks.
> Instinct is key
> here.  Again, same idea as I previously stated on top.  Take a
> screener test
> of overall technologies.  After that, they'll give you a
> problem and tell
> you, "the clock aready started.  You just wasted 2 minutes
> staring at me."

It's good that you see that the recert process is broken also.  The only
question is what to do about it.  Any sort of hands-on process is better
than that stupid written recert deal they got going now.