Jeez,

             That is ridiculous, the program is run by Cisco, a private
corporation. It is not a government entity and requiring those types of
prerequisites makes no sense. How do you quantify experience anyway? What
about a guy who has fifteen years in the industry, gets his CCIE but has
worked on the same technology, same network etc for years, he is not working
with new technology so has no real experience with it either. A "labrat" as
you call it has taken the time to explore the new stuff and will at least
have an idea how to work with it in a production environment. There are two
side to this arguement but I think there are a few who seem to be angry that
a motivated individual is able to study and pull off something that they
believe is reserved for only experienced engineers. It would not be in
Cisco's best interest to load the CCIE with unnecessary baggage. The fact is
that if you can pass the test you are probably an above average guy
technically and have the potential to learn and master just about anything
that could reasonably be expected of a network engineer.

Regards,
Douglas Mizell
CCNP/CCDP