Jack Nalbandian wrote:

> Oh, but I thought "corporate management can never be wrong."

I never said that.  Corporate management can indeed be wrong - but not for
long.  Slowly but eventually, the free market adjusts.

For example, right now, what if Harvard all of a sudden got really easy -
easy to be admitted to, easy to graduate from, just all-around easy?  For a
few years, people wouldn't know and those guys who happened to be Crimson
during that time would be living it up, because people would be thinking
that they're just as good as previous alum, when they're not.  But
eventually word would get out, and the value of that degree would plummet.

The same thing happened with the ccie.  It took awhile for information about
the 1-day change to filter out, but eventually it did and now all new CCIE's
are, unfortunately, paying the price.  And just like what would happen if
Cisco decided to restore the rigor of the exam - for awhile, nobody would
notice but eventually people would discover that the new ccie's really are
surprisingly good and they would adjust accordingly.

But I know where you're going, you want to take this back to the old
discussion of how you believe companies are slowly changing to de-emphasize
the college degree for hiring purposes (see, I have my own decoder ring
too).  Unfortunately, I cannot find any evidence of such a change, and if
anything, I am finding the exact opposite.  Consider the following articles:

"...the wage ratio between college and high school graduates reversed and
began a long-term rise. By 1985, the ratio had reached 1.6, and by 1994, it
reached nearly 1.8. This pattern has also appeared in other countries..."

http://www.hawaii.gov/dbedt/hecon/he11-98/value.html

"The main index of the return to human capital investment, the Dow Jones
Average of the labor market as it were, is the wage premium paid to workers
with a college degree relative to the wage for those with just a high school
diploma. In 1980, this premium was about 35 percent (close to its all time
low); by the mid–1990s, the college wage premium had risen to an all time
high of over 70 percent (roughly double its level just fifteen years
earlier). The rise in the college premium was mirrored in other educational
returns as well. The premium for a graduate degree, like those being
conferred on many of you here today, has also doubled, from roughly 45
percent in 1980 to more than 90 percent by the mid–1990s. Hence, measured
broadly, the economic value of higher education roughly doubled in the
fifteen years from 1980 to 1995, a rather incredible change. "

http://www.uchicago.edu/docs/education/record/5-28-98/451convocation.html