SDSL routers/bridges only work with the DSLAM that is advertised. The line
coding is slightly different from each other.

Is there a specific requirement that Cisco provides that Netopia doesn't?
There isn't much to configuring Netopia Routers. They are fairly easy.

The most common DSLAM's that I have seen are Westel, Copper Mountain and
Nokia. The xDSL modem usually supports only of of these DSLAMs.
In my experience anyway....

YMMV

Scott

> In my experience with two different DSL providers ( Northpoint and Covad, if
> you must know ) On the provider side they test for compatibility, ease of
> use, setup etc. they want their installers to be able to walk into your
> home, pop in the equipment, spend five minutes setting it up and testing,
> and then be on their way. Oh yeah, they want to make a buck on this stuff
> without having their customers balk at high cost of equipment. Their QA
> people have looked at the market, done their testing, negotiated their
> pricing, and they are done with it.
>
> You can put in your own stuff and chances are it will work. But if there are
> any problems, you know what happens.
>
> It is best go with what the carrier says. If you have other issues, such as
> firewall or NAT,  you can always install another device into the mix.
>
> ISP-----DSLRouter-----CiscoRouter------insideNetwork
>
> And use the IOS firewall feature set. Or some other combination.
>
> Chuck

Scott Nelson - Network Engineer
Wash DC     +1202-270-8968 & +1202-352-6646
Los Angeles +1310-367-6646
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.bnmnetworks.net

PGP Public Key: