Quite a few of the smaller ones think in terms of the consumer and SOHO
market, but there is a large and growing number who are well entrenched in
the small to medium businesses.  This will become even more prevalent once
VoDSL begins to gain momentum later this year and in 2001.  As for wanting
it "cheap", I do not believe the industry has really hit that stage due to
the lack of interoperable CPEs that have the providers frozen.  Also most of
the larger providers can afford to give the units away (and they are)
because they are getting great pricing from companies such as Alcatel and
Cisco.  You buy enough DSLAMS, switches, and routing equipment you are due
to get a break on the smaller stuff.

The installers are pretty much a moot point, with most of the larger
providers, due to the
huge success of splitterless DSL which in turn has spawned the "Self
Install" programs.
We have a truck roll on less than 5% of our installs, and that figure is
dropping even further.

The customer should be in sync with the provider during the initial sale of
the service as far as the equipment is concerned.  I cannot imagine many
instances where a provider would not furnish the equipment upfront to save
such a hassle.  Now I do realize that customers do relocate from another
provider, but that should not cause such a problem.   You will continue to
see more and more providers give the equipment away and waive the setup
fees.  At this point it just makes good business sense.

Reg