I think some comes down to a control issue the ISP's  don't want you playing
with their  Dslam  etc  and also they get very sweet deals on the last mile
stuff.
 So why should they and there are compatability issues  I forget right now
what the issue  was

Als look at it from netopia's point  why should they try to work with cisco
if they don't they get to place stuff all the way to the end.
 If they do  their sales end at the  demark.
  It's called marketing ,
I have had this problem and created a need for a firewall after the netopia
so  lost a router and gained a firewall.
 Not a bad trade  (heh)
Oz
http://www.mcseco-op.com/helpfull_links.htm