Title: Cisco 3640 grunty enough for full-BGP routing?
The BGP routing table itself takes up less than 20MB of memory last time I checked (only a couple months ago).  I don't have access to a router running full BGP routes right this moment but someone should verify this.  I am fairly certain it is less than 20.  So, you can run it just fine on a 3640 with 128mb.  I completely disagree with this "experienced" CCIE.  However, his routers may have several other services running on them that use a lot of memory.  A 3640 with 128mb used simply as an Internet router running BGP will have no trouble now or in the near future.  Does anyone have a 3640 w/BGP that could provide some current stats?

John
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 9:13 AM
Subject: RE: Cisco 3640 grunty enough for full-BGP routing?

A CCIE, experienced in the service provider market, just recently told me that a 3640 *might* be OK at first, but it would really be a strain to keep the entire routing table.  His reasoning is that 128MB RAM barely covers the requirements and will allow no room for growth.  He went on to say that if you can, use 256MB, 512MB, etc. as new routes that are added in the future will drive your memory requirements beyond 128MB.

Rik Guyler