>I could not figured out why Juniper does not allow us to get access to the
>documentation of their OS, we can only read the old version, but no way to
>get the documnetation of the new version, do they want to people to learn it
>and use it or what?
>Unless there is some other reasons, this is so stupid.

While I too wish they published the most recent version, let's look
at their technical support in a broader context.  There are
differences in the support needs of most enterprises and those of the
service providers that can justify Junipers, GSRs, etc.

If an organization believes it can take a well-loaded GSR or Juniper
and turn it over to junior operations people, other than at the
minimal level of bringing interfaces up and down, said organization's
management should be escorted off the premises, using deadly force if
necessary. By forming such beliefs, they have cast themselves in the
role of business agents for monkeys.

It has long been theorized that if a million monkeys were placed in
front of typewriters, they would eventually produce Shakespeare's
work.

This experiment has now been tried.  It is called the Internet, or
possibly AOL.  Shakespeare remains safe.

In like manner, the sort of organization that needs a GSR, M40/M160,
etc., will have the opportunity to screw up the Internet as a whole,
and/or major private networks.  I was part of a team that developed
certification requirements for a cancelled carrier router project,
and the minimal skill level to do much realistic work is around CCNP
plus CCDP.

>While Cisco just started, the internet was just started for commerical use,
>it was that crusial back then so cisco was lucky to be one of the poineers,
>nowdays I do not think many will risk their stability and waste the
>experience of engineers just for a little faster speed, perhaps not little,
>but still I do not think it outweighs the risk. Espcially, Juniper does not
>look like very inerested in technical support, at least to me.
>
>Thanks
>
>Jack

Cisco certainly has market share.  In some areas, its success
potentially is its undoing.  A number of the lead high-end router
designers have left Cisco, the people that established the
technology.  They have left for assorted reasons, such as the obvious
cashing in of stock options, but in some cases frustration.  The
frustration is not knowing whether or not your work will ever be
productized, or if your effort will be supplanted by a new
acquisition.

Another success-related issue for Cisco is the baggage of old code.
"IOS," which really is multiple sets of software, has grown heavy
with features that may not have anything to do with service provider
requirements.  But taking out, say, the Apple and Token Ring support,
may not be transparent. There's a reliability issue whenever software
grows in complexity.

JunOS is based on BSD UNIX, with kernel and other extensions
specifically for the large-scale routing problem.  It doesn't have
enterprise support and it's unlikely it ever will.

In the real world, the customers for Juniper, GSR, etc., deal with
quite senior vendor engineers, both in systems engineering and
directly in development. Traditional manuals, courses, etc., may not
be the most appropriate method of knowledge transfer.

--
"What Problem are you trying to solve?"
***send Cisco questions to the list, so all can benefit -- not

Howard C. Berkowitz      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Technical Director, CertificationZone.com
Senior Product Manager, Carrier Packet Solutions, NortelNetworks (for ID only)
   but Cisco stockholder!
"retired" Certified Cisco Systems Instructor (CID) #93005