I would determine what your goal is first, then find
the best product for that piece of the network. Now,
best product to many means many things. I'm not into
sales and I don't care who makes the box. I look at
features/performance/interoperability/vendor support
capability/good box for the buck, etc. However, If it
were a box coming out of the kid's garage down the
street I'd be more cautious then a established
company.
Juniper is also good with following the standards
(RFCs, etc) and has some very sharp people working for
them.

If your using standard protocols end-to-end then you
should be able to use pretty much any vendors box, but
if your using propiertary protocols (or extensions)
then you have little or no choice on what to use. This
may be a problem in the future when you can't find a
product that supports this protocol, etc and have to
re-design to get around the problem.

Just my 2 cents...