From: Brian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 12, 2000 9:48 AM
To: Eddie Parra
Cc: Bharat Suneja; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: eXtreme ,juniper, Foundary and Cisco

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Eddie Parra wrote:

> Redback is another impressive company...  I have been researching them a
lot
> lately.  They are forming well...

Redback is a good example where Cisco wasn't quick enough to get a product
out.  The Redback SMS works very well as a DSL concentrator.  The "cisco"
solution was IOS running on their routers.  This did not and does not work
very well.  Cisco now has DSL concentrators of their own, but the price
point is pretty high and acceptance isn't there yet.

Brian

> -Eddie

Cisco-trained,
> > Cisco-experienced network engineers, designers & support professionals.
> > Cisco IOS offers one consistent interface & CLI throughout most of its
> > product line. Cisco also offers an impressive range of Network
Management
> > products that we're yet to see from other vendors.
> >
> > It's an endless debate - but not all enterprise networks require the
> > performance & capabilities of a Juniper or a Foundry.
> >
> > Having said that, let me also add that as things stand, by no means is
> Cisco
> > technologically the most superior throughout the length & breadth of its
> > entire prouduct line. Juniper, Extreme, Foundry and others do have their
> > niches that they fill quite effectively, and pose challanges to Cisco in
> > those markets.
> >
> > And as someone correctly pointed out, the basic networking knowledge is
> > still required even to implement other vendors' products. I doubt the
CCIE
> > will lose its value any time soon, but we just might see a deluge of
CCNAs