>Subnet zero is the network address that the routers uses for routing to the
>network and the broadcast address sends a broadcast to the entire network
>everytime it is used, which means it goes to all subnets.  Therefore, these
>are not used as host addresses.  They encompass the whole network.  Others can
>probably add to this.
>
>Jennifer Cribbs

The restrictions on subnet zero and the all ones subnet are a
limitation of classful routing protocols, which do not transmit a
subnet mask.  Without a subnet mask, what is the difference between:

      10.0.0.0  (the network)
      10.0.0.0  (subnet 0.0.0. of network 10)

But there's no ambiguity in what a classless protocol sends:

      10.0.0.0/8
      10.0.0.0/16

So there's a clear problem with subnet zero in a classful
environment.  Restrictions on the all-ones subnet have never made as
much sense, other than the conceptual ambiguity being the broadcast
to:

    all subnets of 10.0.0.0/8    10.255.255.255
    broadcast to 10.255.255.0/24 10.255.255.255

I've never seen the all-ones subnet actually cause problems, even
with classful routing.