I've read it five times and still can't see a subnet zero in the example.
172.16.x.x Class B address with a 255.255.255.252 subnet mask.
Wouldn't subnet zero be down at 172.16.0.0 with 172.16.0.4 being the first
'non-subnet zero' address.
172.16.4.0 wouldn't be subnet zero would it?

Gareth

""Frank Wells"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Hey Jen,
> Your understanding of subnetting is a little off and your teaching is thus
> tainted.  Here is a how subnetting and subnet zero work:
>
> Take a IP address for example:        172. 16. 4.  0
> Add an easy subnet mask to play with: 255.255.255.252
>
> What subnets to we get from this combo?...
> First subnet=  172.16.4.4
> Second subnet= 172.16.4.8
> Third subnet=  172.16.4.12
> Last subnet=   172.16.4.252
>

> Lets examine one of the subnets:  172.16.4.4
> The IP address space this subnet consumes is 172.16.4.4 through 172.16.4.7
> The first and last IP addresses in the subnet range are the network
address
> and subnet broadcast address respectively, and neither the first or last
> address can be used for host addressing, as is
> well known. This leaves two remaining addresses available for hosts on
that
> subnet:
>
> 172.16.4.5 and 172.16.4.6
>
> Subnet zero is that address space which is not taken up by the subnets.
In
> our example this would be 172.16.4.1;172.16.4.2;172.16.4.3
> Routers do not use subnet zero for anything unless instructed to do so and
> if this is the case, they will merely recognize it and route it.  The
> broadcast address in a subnet does not see the entire network, it
broadcasts
> only to its entire sub-network.  Referring to our example once more, this
> would be the address 172.16.4.7 and only the two host addresses on the
> subnet would hear a broadcast from it.
>
> Hope this clarifies things.
>

> >From: Jennifer Cribbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Subject: RE: Ip addressing question
> >Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:38:38 -0500
> >
> >Subnet zero is the network address that the routers uses for routing to
the
> >network and the broadcast address sends a broadcast to the entire network
> >everytime it is used, which means it goes to all subnets.  Therefore,
these
> >are not used as host addresses.  They encompass the whole network.
Others