----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Supino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CCNA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <>
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2001 12:38 PM
Subject: RE: 3600 Flash

> CCNA,
>
> You will need to replace the image on the flash chips via console cable
> (Xmodem) after you insert the new flash chips. This is the only way to do it
> on a 3600. I believe on a 2600 you have TFTP download available from Rommon
> mode.

> What should I do to make it work ?? I have a 3640 router also.Can it be of
> my help in any way ????? How can I insert the new flash of 16MB in 3640
> which has 8 MB SIMM and copy the IOS in it and place it back to 3620  ??????
> Partition like thing ..........
> Please giude me.............

Yes, this should work except of necessary partitioning and flashing again
old software of 3640 into old partition.

Without 3640 you can do it as follows:
 Install old 2x8 fsimms and boot old software
 Partiton flash into 2 equal size partitions  (8MB each)
 Flash any old software less than 8Mbit into one partition
 Install mix of old and new fsimms (total of 24M flash should appear)
 Partition once again into 2 or 3 partitions of 8MBs
 Flash partition beginning at new fsimm boundary
 Install both new fsimms
 Finally partition and flash as desired.

P/