I disagree, Linux is a bad choice!  A Cisco 3640
router would cost about the same and I'd like to see
you get a full BGP table with Linux for the same
hardware cost.  plus, linux doesn't have CEF or
any of the standard stuff that comes with IOS
(or JunOS for that matter).

The SMB market does what they will, and who
cares anyways?  They have *no* market share,
they aren't Internet players, they aren't market
players, they are NOTHING.  what they DON'T
NEED is another strange weird solution that I would
only put into a lab ; they need something standard,
something that works, something that will scale,
something that will perform up to their needs,
and something that most $20/hour NT admins
could configure.

I am all for (ok not for Linux, but for FreeBSD
maybe) an open source OS for research or inside
a lab where others are familiar with it.  But
suggesting Linux routers for a SMB (or Enterprise,
or Service Provider) in a production, real environment
is insane.  Don't get me wrong, I like Zebra, it's a good
tool.  But I would never run it if my mom and pop
needed a "router" solution for their new cybercafe.

The "correct" solution for SMB is a 1600 or 1700
series router.  For what you say "most" SMB's
a 1605-R (Single WAN, Dual Ethernet) and two
Catalyst 1900 switches would be more than
sufficient and would cost less in time/effort
alone for the initial setup.

Choose one person out the 165,000 CCNA
certified people, and I'm sure at least 90% of them
could configure this environment for 802.1Q, HSRP,
remote management, NAT, Firewall (Secure Integrated
Software built-in to the router), or VPN (IPSEC, L2TP,
PPTP/MPPE).  That's what they are trained to do.

Show me a Linux certification or training program
that discusses T1 cards or Zebra installation/configuration.
And then give me some numbers...  Yeah I thought so.

-dre